Thursday, May 2, 2013

Erector Set

When I was four years old my father would get me for his weekend visitiation time and I would spend much of my time playing with an Erector Set (trademark "ERECTOR").  I loved using the little wrench to tighten the nuts and bolts to the metal plates and beams.  In retrospect, I think the set must have belonged to my father when he was a kid and he just had it around for me to mess around with.  Of course I never "built" anything with it or used the motor or pulleys that came in the set, but I had a blast with what I did use and that little red box contained hours of fun for me.  



I found this ad for Erector Set from circa 1922.  It seems so typical for that era, but how sexist it seems today. 


Side note:  I think tinkering with that Erector Set is what gave me my fascination with power substations and electrical towers.  (One extremely weird fact about me: I secretly want to climb an electrical tower, even with my great fear of heights). 


No comments:

Post a Comment