Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Charles Manson

(AP Photos/California Department of Corrections, File)

It is with no great suprise to find out that Manson was denied parole for the 12th time. I remember reading a book when I was in junior high about Manson and his "family" and all the horrible events he orchestrated. I was horrified and yet intrigued at the same time. Minds such as Charles Manson, Jim Jones, David Koresh, Adolf Hitler and the assorted cult leaders that have grazed the headlines over the last few decades have such an overwhelming ability of persuasion and influence over others that blows my mind...what a high it must be to have a group (large or small) of people "follow" actions and beliefs that the vast majority of human beings would find totally abnormal and insane...to have the power to convince others that what you believe is absolute and righteous! I often think of these people as ingenious and as psycopathic as they come. The ability to prey on the fears of others and manipulate thoughts and actions must feel God-like. That driving force of evil these master manipulators seem to possess is one that is foreign to me, but yet fascinates me nonetheless. I am glad Manson will never get out of prison. In this modern world of injustice, this at least seems correct and just. And for the record, I think he got off easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment