Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mystery Solved

my full picture of the yellow weed



Thanks to my anonymous commenter...it made me wonder what this really is so I did some research and this is what I came up with:

Butterweed (Senecio glabellus) is most commonly found in wet areas.  It is an annual with smooth and hollow stems.  At times, there may be hair in the leaf axils, giving it a "cobwebby" appearance.  The leaves are irregularly and deeply cut to the midrib and lack hair.  Lower leaves have petioles while the upper leaves lack petioles.  Often, the foliage turns reddish purple after flowering.

I found the above about Butterweed here (pg. 4). There are also a couple of pictures.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you meant the pink flowers were weeds since that's what the comment was next to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comment is actually by the yellow...that's not where you see it?

    ReplyDelete