Monday, May 7, 2012

Northbound I-75 Semi Crash

I was on I-75 southbound tonight on my way to the house after leaving the warehouse around 6:45. It's a
5 mile stint on the interstate. The traffic slowed way down and became little more than a crawl about 1/2 mile from my exit. I drove half in the emergency lane and half in the exit lane for just a few feet as I approached the exit when suddenly a BIG wrecker tooted his horn behind me so he could go around all the traffic. As I made my turn onto the exit ramp I could see flashers ahead, but couldn't make anything out. When I pulled onto my street (it's a no outlet street that runs
right up to the side of the embankment to the northbound side of the interstate), I could see more than I did getting off the exit earlier. I pulled
into the driveway and walked to the end of the street to join others standing in the rain
trying to get a glimpse of what had actually happened. The troopers had traffic stopped southbound to give room to the northbound side event...I was sick at my stomach immediately to see this truck turned over on its side. It was raining pretty heavily so I walked back to the car and drove to the overpass just south of the north side exit (you can see the sign in the background). I'm not normally an ambulance chaser, but this looked pretty serious. What you can't see in the
picture (to the right of the outer lane semi), is a pickup truck cap that was totally flattened and sitting on the embankment and other small pieces of debris. I didn't see the pickup. Maybe it had been hauled off already, but I'm fairly certain the accident had just happened not more than 5 minutes before I drove onto slowed traffic...the traffic hadn't backed up enough yet to have been longer than that. This little stretch of interstate is an accident prone area. I just pray no one was killed or hurt badly!

No comments:

Post a Comment