Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Golden Gate Bridge





This year marks the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge.  The first time I was in San Francisco I was only 13 and I marvelled at the sight of that bridge, but my deep-seated fear of bridges was already in place and I was very thankful that I didn't have to go near the bridge.  The second time I was in San Francisco I decided that I would use that bridge to help me conquer my fear, so I braved that vast span and drove across it.  It seemed like it took an eternity, but I made it without passing out.

There are some pretty cool events planned for the anniversary this year, beginning with a treasure hunt that starts today.  Too bad San Francisco is so far away and I'm stuck at work...

3 comments:

  1. I've never crossed that damn bridge, and never will. I have driven mile and miles around it just to get to the other side. I have a complete fear of bridges and won't cross any of those big ones. Even when I lived in Oregon in the Portland area, to get to the other side of the Willamette River, I would drive south and cross it where there was a tiny bridge, only two lanes, and less than 1/2 mile long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in Seattle, l used to have to drive over the floating drawbridge..now that's a whole different kind of fear.

    ReplyDelete