Sunday, June 24, 2012

Relay for Life



Friday night, V, T and I went to the luminaria event of the Relay for Life here in town.  My friend, Dawn is a cancer survivor and was part of a relay team.  Her team sold some of the luminarias and I purchased two...one for her and one for my father who died from esophageal cancer in 1989. It was nice to stroll around and look at the different displays and all the lighted luminaries. At 10:00 pm, the reading of a list of all the names began.  I thought this was a neat idea until we all realized that the high school students reading the names couldn't pronounce at least half of what they were reading.  One of the boys actually started apologizing after each name he knew he was struggling with and giggled once.  It was then I decided that I'd had enough of the disrespect and it was very apparent the other two were disgusted also.  We were appalled that someone could completely butcher something that was supposed to have been touching (especially in memory of people who have passed).  I hope somebody learned something from that debacle and it will be much better in years to come. 

1 comment: